Monday, October 24, 2011

The impact of Miss Representation

So, I just finished watching the documentary, "Miss Representation" which was featured on the Oprah Winfrey Network a few days ago. Thank goodness for my DVR, otherwise I probably would've missed it. Anyway, I wanted to write briefly about the experience while it was still fresh in my mind. For those of you who haven't heard of this film yet, or perhaps have not yet gotten around to watching it, here is the film's trailer:


In addition to the film, which I encourage everyone to watch, there is an affiliated organization which you can visit by clicking this link.

The film does, in my humble opinion, a great job of illustrating several points, including the normalization within our society of the objectification of women.


This is not just a woman's issue. One of the aspects of the film which I appreciated was that it did not ignore how aspect of our culture affects men. And no, I don't mean the stereotypical, hyper-masculine, manly-man that the media would like us to believe every man in America strives to be. I mean the real, cares for their family, tries to do their best but makes mistakes along the way, is honest enough to admit he has emotions, isn't afraid to tell his kids "I love you" men.


There are a lot of little 'jewels' of wisdom shared throughout this film. I cannot overstate the potential this film has to spur some much needed conversation between people in our society. As I have said previously, if you have a woman in your life whom you care about...whether she's your wife, daughter, mother, cousin, girlfriend, just a friend, or even you...you should watch this film with them and talk about it.


But, enough of my pitching the film to you. It's available, and now you know about it. All that's left is for you to make some time and watch it. You'll be better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment